It’s that time of year when the serious competitions are happening – State, National and for some of you the dream of competing overseas is starting to loom large.
For those of you who do compete interntionally, it’s a whole other world – if you think there is lots to organise and plan for a competition in your home town, there’s an exponentially larger amount of things you have to think about and figure out when you’re overseas:
- You have flights to book
- You have accommodation to book – do you stay in a hotel, a b’n’b, a hostel, an apartment?
- How are you going to stay on your diet?
- How will the flight affect you?
- How long should you allow to get back into condition?
- What if you can’t get back into condition?
- Where do you get the right foods from?
- Can you get the right foods for your plan?
- What if you can’t find the right foods?
- Where can you train?
- What if you’re on your own? Your coach, trainer, friends or family can’t come with you
- Who’s going to help you backstage?
- Who’s going to do your hair, tan, makeup?
- How are you going to get to the venue?
I’m sure there are a million other questions buzzing around your head and it’s starting to stress you out.
so WHO CAN YOU ASK FOR HELP?
For those of you who have been following me, you know that by now I’m a dab hand at not only travelling for competition within Australia, but I’ve kinda got the whole international thing sorted too.
9 shows in 9 weeks in 3 different states and 3 different countries – 15 flights in all, without my trainer, by myself and I backed up week after week so well that 3 world championships were the result!
This year I’ve competed in Victoria then Texas 7 days later then Victoria again just 3 days after a 24 hours flight and I won Best Conditioned Athlete to boot!
That’s how you do travelling and competing!
Now, I have to back it up again – I have just 6 days and another 24 hour flight to New York to pull up perfectly for what I think (going on last years World Championship) will be a very tough competition:
WNBF Professional Universe Miss Fit Body.
I thought I’d document how I go and provide you with an invaluable insight, and answer some of your questions about how to compete overseas.
Episode 1: Be Prepared