I feel like I’ve had a long weekend!
Well I guess I have really and having got the admin out of the way on Friday, it’s been lovely and relaxing, to the point where I’ve actually felt like taking a bit of time over my meals and cooking something nice. Contrary to popular belief, I do actually like cooking, but usually food is just functional – quite literally the same thing every day – get it prepped and eaten as quickly as possible because there’s always so much other stuff to do. But having had a nice relaxing Friday where I could take time to browse the food stalls at the market rather than rush in during my lunch hour, grab the usual stuff from the usual stall and dash out, I took some time at the fish market and not only got some beautiful raw tuna, but I found some Spanish Mackerel.
I’ve never had spanish mackerel, so on a whim I bought some…
Crispy Skin Smoked Paprika Mackerel with creamy leek and mushroom sauce (and broccoli of course!)
and today, its perfect weather for breaking out the magic red pot and slooooowly cooking Venison Stew…
as well as my favourite creamy saffron chicken and cashew nut curry…
damn you comp prep! I’ve got to split it over 4 meals instead of guzzle the entire pot (which has been known to happen!)
very grateful for long weekend, getting admin done early and crappy weather – the perfect storm for creative cooking! and now I have hearty tasty meals for the whole week!
Here’s my venison stew recipe :
- 750g Vension steak (cubed roughly)
- 1 red onion – chopped roughly/finely – doesn’t matter
- 12 swiss brown mushrooms (button size)
- 1 leek
- garlic – as much as you like, I use 4 average cloves, but you might want less
- sweet paprika – probably a tsp – I don’t measure it
- smoke paprika – as above
- 600ml (ish) beef and veggie stock – enough to cover the meat
- 25g butter – real butter, no substitutes!
- Salt, Pepper, Chilli (optional – about 1/2 – 1 tsp)
- full fat cream (optional) – 1 tsp per serve, add when serving
- sweat the onion and garlic in the butter for 2 mins, add the venison and brown.
- add the leek, mushroom, paprika, salt, pepper, (chilli) mix well and stir for another 2 mins (ish)
- add the stock, place in preheated oven (170 degrees) for 2-3 hours until stock has reduced and turned dark brown.
- EAT with rice, slendier rice, or just veggies
Cals (per serve): 204
P: 34.8g, F: 5.9g, C: 1.6g (Fibre: 1.4g)